Master Plan Timeline
Bogus Basin is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization, dedicated to its mission to provide affordable, accessible and fun year-round mountain recreation and education.
In 2015, Bogus Basin’s Board of Directors realized that the organization’s long-term viability was in doubt. The organization faced a changing business landscape, financial tension from low snow years, and lacked a current master plan. Industry leader SE Group was retained to develop a comprehensive master plan and a strategic business plan for the recreation area.
The plan was completed in 2016 and is fully transitioning Bogus Basin from a one season business model to an incredible year-round destination for recreation and education for the entire community, especially youth. The community has embraced Bogus Basin’s significant and positive change. Through a combination of community and foundation donations, corporate contributions, and revenue from year-round mountain operations, including season pass sales, the area has generated enough funds to implement several key projects in the master plan.
BOGUS BASIN 2015-2019
TIMELINE OF KEY EVENTS
- May 2015 Board of Directors hires consultants SE Group to conduct a feasibility study to identify what is possible for the future of the nonprofit recreation area.
- Nov 2015 Brad Wilson hired as General Manager. Wilson, a ski industry veteran, has experience working with SE Group on year-round master planning.
- Feb 2016 Bogus Basin announces its first season pass price increase in 18 years. At $299, prices remain well below the industry average. Record early season pass sales follow a strong winter season.
- Jul 2016 Bogus Basin’s volunteer Board of Directors adopts a new comprehensive year-round master plan for the area.
- Feb 2017 Robust early season pass sales following an average winter.
- April 2017 The Bogus Basin Project, a capital fundraising effort, is launched to raise funds from the community for snowmaking and other projects.
- Summer 2017 Board approves a cash investment to fund summer improvements, including the Glade Runner Mountain Coaster, base area plaza and other projects.
- Dec 2017 The Bogus Basin Project fundraising effort achieves its goal, raising $6.3 million for top to bottom snowmaking and other area enhancements.
- Feb 2018 Strong early season pass sale, following a mild start to the winter season.
- May 2018 Board approves a cash investment to fund the installation of a top-to-bottom snowmaking system at Bogus Basin.
- June 2018 Bogus Basin offers seven-day a week summer operations for the first time in its 76 year history.
- June 2018 Construction begins on the snowmaking system.
- Nov 2018 Construction complete on the snowmaking system.
- Feb 2019 Bogus Basin receives record-breaking snowfall during the month. The snowfall, along with new pass product offerings, contributes to a record early season pass sale.
- March 2019 Board approves a cash investment to fund the replacement of the Morning Star Chairlift with a high-speed detachable quad, a major improvement for the area.